This article is your complete guide to the Enchanted Forest Oregon theme park 2023. For many families, the allure of theme parks is simply irresistible. The blend of excitement, nostalgia, and pure fun is an enchanting recipe that promises memories to last a lifetime. While behemoths like Disney and Universal are the crown jewels of the theme park world, there are hidden gems scattered across the country, offering unique experiences that are equally magical. One such gem is the Enchanted Forest Theme Park in Salem, Oregon.
Tucked away amidst the beautiful Oregon landscape, is my new favorite theme park, which is a fun whimsical wonderland for nature lovers! And I can promise you that it is worth the trip if you love theme park history like we do. That’s why we’ve written this entire guide on our visit to the Enchanted Forest Theme Park.
We were lucky enough to go the second weekend of September and enjoyed our visit so much, we wanted to write about it immediately. So, if you want to learn everything about the Enchanted Forest Park 2023, keep reading!
What is Enchanted Forest Theme Park?
Ah, theme parks! The places where magical memories are made. While the Florida theme parks were among the first to capture my heart for storytelling – I’ve been delighted to explore and find other destinations for a thrill. There’s another enchanted destination, quite literally named the Enchanted Forest Theme Park in Salem, Oregon. It’s a must-visit for any theme park enthusiast or family looking for a unique adventure.
When we first learned about this unique theme park, we had to have a visit as we love the rich history that’s behind it. For any theme park enthusiast, you know how charming it is when the dream behind the magic is big. We’ve also heard myths about spooky encounters happening at Enchanted Forest, which we loved. It was a must-do on our list.
What’s the history behind Enchanted Forest?
The park was the brainchild of Roger Tofte, who envisioned a storybook-themed park in the Pacific Northwest. In the early 1960s, armed with a passion for bringing fairy tales to life and a background in art, Roger started building the park on a plot of land he had bought. This plot was situated just off Interstate 5, near Salem, Oregon.
In a true labor of love, Roger personally handcrafted many of the park’s attractions and sculptures. He often involved his family in the process. The initial phase, “Storybook Lane,” which brought beloved fairy tales to life, took several years to complete, and the park officially opened its doors in 1971.
The early days of Enchanted Forest were quite modest, but its unique charm and the dedication of the Tofte family led to its gradual expansion. Over the decades, the park introduced new sections like the “Old European Village,” “Western Town,” and “Haunted House,” among others.
In a world where mega-theme parks dominate, the Enchanted Forest stands as a testament to what passion, creativity, and hard work can achieve. It remains a cherished destination for families looking for a more intimate and unique theme park experience.
Related post: Complete Guide to Blue vs Green Milk at Disney
Where is Enchanted Forest Theme Park?
Located in the picturesque town of Turner, just south of Salem, Oregon, the Enchanted Forest Theme Park offers visitors a one-of-a-kind experience amidst the lush Oregonian wilderness. This was one of our favorite parts of the theme park. You truly are wandering and winding through a lush magical forest, which adds to the charm of the park. The only downfall is that due to the construction, there are parts of the park that are not accessible to those with mobility devices.
As someone with a mobility condition, I did find it challenging to navigate some of the steep climbs in the park. With that being said, there were still many portions of Enchanted Forest that would accommodate those with mobility devices.
How much are tickets for Enchanted Forest?
The Enchanted Forest Oregon tickets can vary based on age and seasonality. But with that being said, tickets for adults run between $22 – $25 with there being a senior discount. Tickets for kids at Enchanted Forest cost between $19 – $22 with kids under 2 being free. Once you purchase tickets to get into the park, you do also have to purchase tickets to ride attractions.
For reference, when we went, it was myself and my partner and we spent $100 between our admission tickets and tickets for the attractions. Each ticket costs $1 each, and each attraction at Enchanted Forest cost between 1-5 tickets per rider.
Related post: First Timers Guide to Halloween Horror Nights
What Rides Do They Have at Enchanted Forest, Oregon?
When it comes to rides, the Enchanted Forest Amusement Park in Oregon has a delightful mix of gentle rides for the little ones and more thrilling ones for the adventure seekers. If you’re looking for top-notch tech, like at Disney and Orlando, you are going to be disappointed. There are about 10 rides total, with most rides being set at a speed for little ones.
With that being said, the few rides we tried as adults, we loved and thought were charming, although somewhat wild. Challenge of Mondor was my favorite, as it reminded me of a classic Disney dark ride, but with more Lord of the Rings twist. The Haunted House is much scarier than Haunted Mansion at Disney World and Disneyland, so be prepared to get scared.
We also rode the Ice Mountain Bobsled Coaster, which was rather intense. My partner and I were put in one car, which was tight, and then sent to Ice Mountain. I would not suggest this ride for those with back issues, as there are no restraints on the inside of the car.
Rides at Enchanted Forest in Oregon
- Ice Mountain Bobsled Roller Coaster: Experience the thrills of this unique roller coaster, which simulates a bobsled experience as it weaves through a mountainous terrain.
- Big Timber Log Ride: This is one of the park’s iconic attractions. Riders board logs and enjoy a journey that culminates in a splashy descent. It’s especially refreshing on a hot day!
- Challenge of Mondor: This is an interactive dark ride where guests board vehicles equipped with laser guns. The goal is to shoot at various targets throughout the ride and earn points.
- The Frog Hopper: Perfect for younger kids, this ride gently lifts riders into the air and then bounces them up and down for some light-hearted fun.
- Kiddy Bumper Boats: These are ideal for the little ones who want to experience the thrill of steering their own boats, albeit in a controlled, safe environment.
- Tiny Tune Train: A delightful train ride specifically designed for the youngest visitors to the park.
- Kiddy Ferris Wheel: A miniature version of the classic Ferris wheel, it’s a gentle ride that gives kids a chance to experience the joy of being up high and seeing the park from a new perspective.
- Haunted House: While not a traditional ride in the sense of motion and speed, this walk-through attraction offers its own kind of thrill with spooky surprises lurking around each corner.
- Slides: The park features various slides, from the classic Alpine Slide that takes visitors on a winding course down a hill to other smaller slides sprinkled throughout the park.
- Bumper Cars: A classic amusement park attraction, these bumper cars offer fun-filled collisions and are a hit with both kids and adults.
It’s worth noting that while the Enchanted Forest might not have the high-thrill rides found in larger theme parks, its attractions offer a unique blend of charm, nostalgia, and fun. The park’s rides capture its whimsical and family-friendly spirit, making it a beloved destination for many.
Related post: Complete Guide to Scary Rides in Disneyland
What are the Different Lands at Enchanted Forest Oregon?
The Enchanted Forest Theme Park in Salem, Oregon, is divided into distinct themed areas or “lands.” We felt that each of the lands were distinct and felt extremely immersive with the backdrop of the beautiful forest. Right away when you walk in, you’re greeted by Storybook Lane which automatically transports you to your childhood. We also loved the Old European Village. There were so many nooks and crannies to explore in the Old European Village with our favorite tales and stories.
The attention to detail in the lands in the Enchanted Forest blew us away. Although outdated, we loved that you were able to disappear through doors and be delighted by hidden shows.
Lands in Enchanted Forest Theme Park
- Storybook Lane: This was the original section of the park when it first opened. Here, visitors can walk through scenes from beloved fairy tales and classic stories. Some of the tales featured include Alice in Wonderland, Humpty Dumpty, Mother Goose, and the Seven Dwarfs.
- Tofteville Western Town: Step into the Wild West in this fun, themed area. It captures the essence of a frontier town with its buildings, attractions, and play areas. Here, visitors can explore an assortment of western buildings, engage in fun activities, and even enjoy a few rides.
- Old European Village: This area draws inspiration from the old-world charm of European towns. Wandering through this part of the park feels like stepping into another time and place, with its quaint buildings, themed attractions, and charming little corners.
- Haunted House: For those seeking some chills and thrills, the Haunted House is a must-visit. This spooky attraction offers a fun scare for visitors. The craftsmanship and attention to detail inside the house make it a memorable experience.
- Fantasy Fountains Water-Light Show: While not a “land” in the traditional sense, this attraction deserves a special mention. It’s an enchanting display where water, light, and music come together to create a mesmerizing show.
- Summer Comedy Theatre: Another non-traditional “land,” this area hosts entertaining comedy shows during the summer months. The skits and performances are family-friendly and add a unique entertainment element to the park.
Related post: What is Figment from Disney?
What are the Attractions at Enchanted Forest Oregon?
Beyond the rides, the attractions at Enchanted Forest are where the park truly shines. Each one is meticulously designed to transport guests to a fantastical world. So if you aren’t a ride person, don’t worry, there are plenty of immersive attractions to enjoy. Personally, we only did three of the rides because Storybook Lane was the highlight of the park.
There was something about walking down a magical path to discover hand-constructed displays of my favorite childhood stories. Enter the mines of the Seven Dwarfs or escape a maze with Alice in Wonderland. All of it is exceptionally nostalgic, and I cannot wait to go back to explore again.
Attractions at Enchanted Forest
- Storybook Lane – Walk through your favorite stories from classic literature, brought to life in incredible detail.
- Fantasy Fountains Water Light Show – An enchanting display of water, light, and music.
Storybook Lane Enchanted Forest
Storybook Lane is the enchanting heart of the Enchanted Forest in Salem, Oregon. Opened in 1971 as the park’s inaugural attraction, this magical walk-through experience brings to life classic fairy tales and beloved stories. Crafted meticulously by Roger Tofte, visitors are whisked into a fairy tale world, where they encounter scenes from tales such as “Alice in Wonderland,” “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” and “Mother Goose.” The area is not just about visuals; interactive elements abound, from push buttons to hidden passageways, offering an immersive experience. Representing the essence of Enchanted Forest, Storybook Lane is a nostalgic journey, reminding visitors of the timeless charm of fairy tales and the wonders of imagination.
Fantasy Fountain Water Light Show
The Fantasy Fountains water light show at Enchanted Forest is a mesmerizing blend of dancing water jets, radiant lighting, and harmonized music. As colorful lights illuminate the fountains, choreographed jets of water dance in sync to whimsical and classical tunes, creating a magical spectacle. Nestled within the serene ambiance of the park, this attraction offers visitors a moment of wonder and relaxation. A must-see for families, the Fantasy Fountains show captures the very essence of Enchanted Forest’s enchantment, ensuring a memorable experience for all ages.
I would recommend seeing this show right away, as your first stop. The Fantasy Fountain show is one of the more popular attractions, therefore it fills up quick. We loved this show and found it to be relaxing, while entertaining.
Related post: Complete Guide to the Beverly Drink at EPCOT
Tips and Tricks For Visiting Enchanted Forest in Oregon 2023
Of course! Enchanted Forest is a unique theme park located in Turner, Oregon. Unlike many large, commercial theme parks, it’s a charming, family-run park with attractions inspired by fairy tales, nursery rhymes, and fantasy. One of the most important tips that we had to learn was that Enchanted Forest closes for the season in September. Don’t be caught driving to Salem during the off-season. Make sure to visit the Enchanted Forest from around March/April to the end of September.
Tips and Tricks for Enchanted Forest
If you’re planning a visit, here are some tips and tricks to ensure a memorable experience:
- Plan Ahead: Check the park’s official website for hours of operation, ticket prices, and any scheduled events. This will help you decide the best time to visit and what to expect.
- Arrive Early: The park can get busy, especially on weekends and during the summer months. By arriving early, you’ll have a better chance to experience the attractions without long wait times.
- Start with rides! – Since Storybook Lane is located right in the beginning of the park, that tends to get very crowded. That means short wait times for rides. When we went, we started with rides and had zero wait for all of them within the first hour of open.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: The park is set in a hilly, wooded area, so there’s a lot of walking on uneven ground. Proper footwear will make your visit more enjoyable.
- Dress for the Weather: Oregon’s weather can be unpredictable. Check the forecast and bring layers, a rain jacket, or sun protection as necessary. It was very chilly in the morning and we definitely needed a sweater or jacket.
- Pack a Picnic: While there are food options available at the park, bringing your own picnic can be a fun and cost-effective way to enjoy a meal. There are designated picnic areas for visitors.
- Explore the Fantasy-Themed Areas: One of the park’s charms is its whimsical themed areas, including Storybook Lane, Tofteville Western Town, and Old Europe Village. Take your time to explore and appreciate the handcrafted details.
- Respect the Park’s Rules: Remember, this is a family-run park, and it has been lovingly maintained for decades. Follow any posted rules and guidelines to ensure everyone has a pleasant experience.
- Visit in the Off-Season: If possible, consider visiting during the shoulder season (spring or fall). The park will be less crowded, and you’ll have a more relaxed experience
Related post: Complete Guide to Disney World Fireworks
Should I Visit the Enchanted Forest Theme Park?
Absolutely! Especially if you’re someone who enjoys the charm of smaller, more intimate theme parks. The Enchanted Forest Oregon theme park is a hidden gem, with its unique blend of classic storybook attractions, thrilling rides, and live shows. We were shocked to see how delightful the park and the staff was, adding to the overall magic of our trip. There was something about reconnecting with nature, while enjoying this family-owned park.
Enchanted Forest Theme Park has more to offer than we mentioned here, also. For our first visit, we only spent half a day, therefore, we missed the shows offered. There is a Comedy Show and a musical performance called Possibly Irish, which we’ve heard are fantastic. Food prices were also very affordable, which was a big shock for theme park food! We highly suggest making the trip out to Oregon to visit Enchanted Forest if you’re a theme park lover like us.
Related post: Complete Guide to What Your Patronus Means About You
Ready to Embark on a Magical Theme Park Journey?
We hope this guide sprinkles a little magic on your next theme park adventure! Our insights come straight from the heart of the parks, where the magic happens every day. We’re thrilled to share our firsthand experiences and tips to help you create unforgettable moments!
Why Choose Theme Park Today?
We’re a community of genuine theme park enthusiasts who live and breathe this magical world. Our mission is to bring you authentic, firsthand experiences that you can trust. We’re here to make the magic of theme parks accessible and enjoyable for everyone, wherever you may be.
🎟️ Ticket to Adventure
Looking for the best ticket deals? Our trusted friends at The Park Prodigy offer fantastic options that can make your visit both more affordable and magical.