This article is your complete guide to the ultimate 2022 Universal Orlando packing list! Are you planning a vacation to Universal Orlando for the first time or unsure what you should bring for a theme park trip? Luckily, we are experts in that area and can help you know what to pack for Orlando. There are so many items that travelers forget when visiting the Universal Orlando theme parks and we are here to make sure you are prepared.
Tips and Tricks on What to Bring to Universal Studios
Before we get into all of the details on what to take to Universal Studios, we have some tips and tricks to know before you go.
What to bring to Universal tips and tricks
- Be prepared for the weather! – Orlando weather can be extreme – making sure you’re prepared for any weather situation for the time of year is important.
- Make a checklist for Universal Studios – just to make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Bring snacks! – A snack can help in many different situations, especially when stuck waiting in a line in the Florida heat
- Plan on bringing a backpack or bag
- Bring an extra suitcase for souvenirs
- Pack time-passing activities for long waits in line
- If you think you’ve had enough water, pack/drink more!
Related post: Best Restaurants in Islands of Adventure 2022
What Can I Bring to Universal Studios? – What’s Allowed and What Isn’t
Universal Orlando Resort has a strict list of what is allowed into the theme parks and what isn’t. Knowing in advance the things to bring to Universal Studios that are prohibited will save you a lot of time at security. If you’re planning on using Early Park Admission, you could potentially be stalled and miss your entry time if your bag has to be searched. So, here is a list of all prohibited items to bring into the Universal parks:
Universal Orlando Prohibited Items
- Illegal substances
- Glass containers
- Open containers
- Large coolers of food
- Hard-sided coolers
- Soft-sided coolers larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep
- Coolers, suitcases, and bags with wheels
- Clothing with offensive language or content
- Clothing that represents someone as emergency personnel
- Weapons of any kind
As you can see, and what is a surprise to most guests is that your packing list for Universal Studios Orlando can include food and drink! Small packaged snacks, closed beverage containers and even small coolers are allowed into the parks.
What Can I Bring to Universal Studios? – Universal Orlando Acceptable Items
- Bottled water (maximum 2 liters)
- Small snacks
- Any food required for special dietary needs
- Any food required for medical purposes and medically-indicated nutritional supplements
- Baby food/baby formula
- Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep
What can I do with my backpack on Universal rides?
Many guests worry about what to do with a backpack when inside of the theme parks, especially if it is full of essentials items. Well, not to worry. When making your Universal Studios packing list, do not leave off a backpack! Any ride that is too intense to bring a bag onto the ride will have free lockers that guests have to use. These lockers are extremely easy to use, and actually required for certain rides throughout the park.
Universal Orlando free ride lockers keep your items safe, and can only be unlocked by using the park ticket scanned to obtain the locker. There are time limits your items can be left in the locker, so make sure not to leave your items behind for too long.
Related post: Complete Guide to All Rides at Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios Packing List 2022- The Essentials
When wondering what to pack to Universal Studios, having an essentials list will help the process! There is always a set of base items that you should always consider when putting together a Universal Orlando checklist. The following items are what we recommend to all travelers making a packing list for Universal Studios Orlando 2022.
Essentials Checklist for Universal Studios 2022 – What to Pack in your Universal Orlando Backpack
These items are what we recommend bringing into the theme parks with you when you decide to go! We find it easiest to bring a backpack into the Universal theme parks full of these essential items!
- Poncho/Rain coat
- Refillable water bottle
- Park Maps
- Over-the-Counter medications (Pain relievers, anti-histamines, anti-nausea, motion sickness)
- Sunglasses (extra pair if they break!)
- Portable phone charger
- Folders/Lanyards to hold tickets/ticket email confirmations
- Cellphone/cellphone charger cable
- Medication organizer/storage for essential medication
- Extra socks
- Band-aids (for blisters and small cuts)
- Hand sanitizer
- Grooming tools (hair brush, hair ties, etc.)
- Ziplock bags (Keep your electronics waterproof!)
- Change of clothes
What to pack for Universal Orlando Trip – Toiletries
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Aloe gel
- Hair products
- Lip balm
- Manicuring tools (clippers, polish)
- Body wash
- Alcohol wipes
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Hand sanitizer
- Make-Up and make-up tools
Related post: Is Citywalk Free?
Packing for Universal Orlando in the Summer
When visiting Orlando in the summertime, first time visitors or even seasoned theme park goers don’t realize how truly hot it can get! Waiting in long lines and standing in the hot sun can take a toll and be very serious if you don’t know how to pack for Universal Studios in the summer. That’s why we’ve created an extra Universal Studios packing list specifically for those hot summer months.
What to pack to Universal Studios in the Summer
- Frozen water bottles
- Battery powered fan/misting fan/neck fan
- Cooling towels/extra towels to wipe sweat
- Lip balm (lips burn easy!)
- An extra lightweight shirt
What to Bring to Universal Studios Orlando with Kids 2022 – Universal Orlando Packing List for Kids
Bringing kids to Universal Orlando is an amazing experience for the whole family, but can be overwhelming if you aren’t prepared. If you are bringing a stroller into the park, you can have some extra storage to make sure you are able to pack all of the extra items for kiddos! This next section, we are going to outline things to take to Universal Studios with kids.
Universal Studios – Things to Brings with Kids
- Entertainment for long lines
- Autograph book and pen
- Pennies for Universal penny souvenirs
- Disposable cutlery/napkins
- Change of clothing
- Kid’s water bottle
- Kid’s backpack
- Diaper bag for toddlers and babies (Baby food, baby wipes, bottles, diapers)
Related post: Best Universal Orlando Breakfasts 2022
What to Wear at Universal Studios 2022
Theme park trips can be exhausting, with a lot of walking, standing and heat! That means knowing what outfits to wear to Universal Studios can be a lifesaver! Florida weather can be very unpredictable with temperatures that change throughout the day depending on the time of year. That’s why we are going to recommend a few lists of what to wear to Universal Studios Orlando.
Universal Studios Outfits for Summer
The summer time is HOT in Orlando, and we always recommend for going for comfort over anything else. Absolutely do not let that stop you wearing what you want to the parks, but we are going to suggest the best Universal Studios outfits for summer time!
- Lightweight breathable shorts/pants (Athletic shorts/pants, leggings) – Even if you want to wear dresses or skirts, we suggest wearing a pair of shorts underneath!
- Lightweight tops – T-Shirts, Tanks, etc.
- Comfortable shoes – Crocs, tennis shoes, supportive sandals – You are going to be doing a lot of walking!
What to Wear to Universal in the Winter
The wintertime in Florida can always be a toss-up on how the day is going to end up, so your best outfit for Universal Studios in the winter is going to be a bit different that the summer. Some mornings start out at 40 degrees and end at 80, so it is important to be prepared so you’re comfortable.
- Layers!!!! – Layering your clothing will save you from freezing in the morning, or being too hot in the afternoon. Pack sweaters/long sleeves to layer more lightweight clothing underneath.
- Warm socks – Certain mornings in Orlando can be VERY chilly and cold feet and toes make walking long distances miserable
- Scarves/winter hats
What to Bring to Universal Studios – Wizarding World of Harry Potter Packing List
We didn’t forget about the Potterheads! One of the most epic things about Universal Orlando Resort is that guests are encouraged represent their Hogwarts pride as they visit either Harry Potter Lands. Both Universal Studios theme parks have Harry Potter Lands – Hogsmeade Village in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida. For this next list, we are going to help you create the ultimate Universal Orlando packing list for Harry Potter World!
Universal Orlando packing list – Harry Potter World
- Harry Potter Robes – Yes! You can wear your Hogwarts house rob into Universal Orlando
- Hogwarts House accessories (ties, socks, hats, scarves)
- Interactive wand – Cast over 20 different spells throughout either Harry Potter land with your interactive wand
- Magical Creature Stuffed Animal
- Harry Potter themed water bottle
- Harry Potter snacks – If you can’t find these beforehand, don’t worry, you can find plenty of snacks like Chocolate Frogs, Puking Pastilles, Fizzing Whizzbies and more!
Related post: Complete Guide to What Your Patronus Means About You
What to Pack for Universal Studios – Volcano Bay Packing List
While Universal is mostly known for their incredible theme parks, they also have an amazing water park called Volcano Bay. Guests can purchase tickets to relax by the water, ride intense water slides, or sip and snack on drinks in the sunshine! That’s why we have created a separate special list of items to consider to pack for Volcano Bay.
- Waterproof sunscreen
- Water shoes
- Small, soft-sided coolers
- A big beach bag
- Plastic bags to put your wet clothing
- Extra pair of clothing
For additional vacation planning tips to Universal Orlando Resort be sure to check out our main Universal And for the latest Universal vacation package deals be sure to check out our partners The Park Prodigy!